SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - A 43-year-old Portsmouth man accused of brutally attacking a Suffolk police officer appeared before a judge in a video arraignment Monday morning.
Police say Joseph Staton is charged with malicious wounding of a police officer, aggravated malicious wounding, shooting, stabbing, cutting or wounding, grand larceny of a police radio, possession of stolen vehicle, burglary and third offense petit larceny for taking clothing from a residence.
Monday morning around 9 a.m., Staton appeared before a judge for a video arraignment. He remains in custody and a preliminary hearing has been set for July 30 at 10 a.m.
Staton allegedly assaulted Officer James Winslow and left him unconscious in the woods in the 1000 block of Nansemond Parkway near Portsmouth Boulevard Saturday morning.
Winslow responded to a call around 8:26 a.m. for a stolen vehicle when he chased Staton into a wooded area, Debbie George with the City of Suffolk told WAVY.com. Once he was in the woods, Staton reportedly used a blunt object to strike Officer Winslow in the face, where he suffered serious head injuries as well as injuries to his arms.
When additional police officers responded to the scene, they found the assaulted officer lying unconscious. Winslow was flown by Nightingale to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital where he remains in critical condition at this time.
Police credit neighbors for helping with the search, saying Staton kept moving from one place to another. Residents would catch a glimpse of him and reported the information to police. One neighbor told officers Staton changed out of the white t-shirt he was seen wearing in dashboard camera video.
Staton was eventually taken into custody after he was spotted running behind a nearby home. Suffolk Police say Staton previously had a warrant out for his arrest in Norfolk for violating probation.
Officer Winslow has been on the force for two and a half years.
Stay with WAVY.com for the latest information on this developing story.
One person was able to get out of a Newport News house safely after police say a man fired a gun.
A Virginia Beach woman admitted to inappropriate sexual contact with teenage boys.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation held a news conference Wednesday to discuss the plans for the Bonner Bridge, which closed Tuesday due to safety concern.