PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) - A resident of the same complex in which two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning in June says her apartment has tested positive twice for the gas.
Natika Veal says she was one of 42 residents told to leave her apartment in late June after Inez and Leroy Stith passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning. Veal says a maintenance worker stopped by her home in the Swanson Homes complex to test for carbon monoxide.
"He said, 'Well I'm going to cut this off and you're lucky to be alive,'" Veal said. She says it was the second time she was told she had a leak.
Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority (PRHA) confirmed Veal's stove was one of dozens to be tagged as having a leak after the Stiths passed away in June. Veal said she stayed in a hotel for close to a week in late June.
"When I came back, I went inside [and I saw] that my stove and hot water tank wasn't new," Veal said.
Veal asked the property manager what, if anything, was done to either.
"She couldn't tell me anything, she couldn't show me anything on paper, and she couldn't show me anything on the computer," Veal said.
PRHA told WAVY.com Veal's gas stove was turned down. PRHA's Executive Director Kathy Warren said the Authority is considering replacing all of the water heaters or switching from gas to electric stoves.
Warren could not provide more information about Veal's apartment specifically and told 10 On Your Side the maintenance worker who had the information was out of town at a funeral.
That maintenance worker is expected to be back Tuesday.
10 On Your Side will continue looking into this story and keep you posted on developments.
The Portsmouth City Council has set a public hearing for Tuesday, Dec. 17, to talk about a plan to bring a casino to the city.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation said work to secure the Bonner Bridge could take anywhere from a week to 90 days.
WAVY News 10's Andy Fox sat down with outgoing Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell for a one-on-one interview.