NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - High readings of carbon monoxide were found inside a Norfolk hotel early Monday morning.
Capt. Mike Hicks with Norfolk Fire and Rescue said dispatchers received a call for a possible gas leak at the Tazewell Hotel on Granby Street. When fire crews arrived on scene, they found small levels of gas in the alley behind the building.
Fire crews went inside and found high readings of carbon monoxide in the basement of the hotel itself, Hicks said. Crews then moved up to the lobby area and continued to find readings of carbon monoxide.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue evacuated the Tazewell.
Battalion Chief Julian Williamson told WAVY.com on scene units were going floor to floor accounting for all residents and personnel. All utilities are being shut down with the exception of electricity.
Investigators believe to have the problem isolated to a heating unit in the basement.
No one was hurt.
Hampton fire crews battled a residential structure fire early Friday morning.
Norfolk Police are investigating an assault on a man Thursday night.
Tributes from those who knew Nelson Mandela began pouring in from across the globe, including words from two Hampton Roads leaders.