NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY.com) - A judge has granted bond for a second Old Dominion University football player, and third suspect overall, accused in connection with an on-campus rape that occurred June 17.
Police charged Markell Wilkins with conspiracy to commit rape and was granted a $20,000 bond Wednesday morning in a Norfolk courtroom.
His co-defendants, Reid Evans, a fellow ODU football player, and Jack Ly, an ODU student, were arrested last month.
Campus officials say the victims were not students.
According to school officials, victims reported a level of intoxication inconsistent with what they may have had to drink and memory loss, symptoms consistent with date rape drugs.
"I don't know that there's a resurgence [of date rape drugs]," Director of the ODU Women's Center Julie Dodd said. "Certainly they're out there. I think what may have changed is that there may be more awareness about them now.
Dodd says the center educates students about risk reduction and healthy relationships. She said the center partners with athletic teams once or twice during a semester.
"We would like to do more with them," Dodd said. "One educational program is not enough it has to be infused throughout the campus culture."
Evans and Wilkins were both suspended from the football team indefinitely. Evans faces rape, sodomy and conspiracy to commit abduction charges, as does Ly.
"It's scary to think that that kind of stuff is going on. You just wonder what the school is doing to help protect you," student Nicole Turner said.
School officials confirmed ODU campus police requested the search warrants in the case be sealed but have not said why.
The Commonwealth's Attorney's Office said sealing search warrants is sometimes used as an investigative tool.
Without the warrants, there's no telling what areas were searched or if date rape drugs were found.
Wilkins has a bond hearing July 18 and Evans has a preliminary hearing August 6.
ODU's Senior Athletic Director, Debbie White, would not comment on the arrests.
A man is facing attempted abduction charges after police said he tried to grab two juvenile girls and exposed himself.
A lawsuit has been filed on behalf of more than 2,000 EMTs and paramedics who were abruptly laid off over the weekend.
The Portsmouth City Council has set a public hearing for Tuesday, Dec. 17, to talk about a plan to bring a casino to the city.