NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) - The Newport News Fire Department is reporting an increase in carbon monoxide calls and has provided tips to protect residents when it's cold.
Acting Fire Chief Scott Liebold said because heating season is underway, the number of carbon monoxide calls has risen. Those using natural gas, propane, heating oil or wood as fuel should have working CO detectors.
Appliances that use the carbon-based fuels should be inspected, maintained and serviced, Liebold added.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, and even a small amount can cause someone to get sick with flu-like symptoms. The symptoms could build over time as low level leaks can last for weeks.
For more information on CO poisoning, visit www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm.
Norfolk Police are investigating the cause of death for male found unconscious on the beach.
The man who spent many years at the controls of Chopper 10 is itching to fly again. Pilot John Massey desperately needed a liver transplant. He was very thankful to get one days a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.
A Navy pilot stationed at Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach was denied bond Monday after being charged with child pornography.