HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) - Several events honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday will take place across Hampton Roads.
The following is a list of events in the area:
- Elizabeth City State University will hold an event beginning at 9 a.m., Jan. 21 with a march from the G.R. Little Library to Sheep Harney Elementary School at 200 W. Elizabeth Ciyt Street. At 9:30 a.m. a program featuring students from each of the area's three institutions will be held on the theme of unity.
- MLK DAY America's Sunday Supper, The State of the Dream, presented by the Virginia Beach Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. will take place at 6 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20 at the Old Dominion University Webb Center-North Café. The event is free but RSVP is required. To reserve a spot, call Maerine Mitchell at 757-339-9181 or email email@example.com.
- Martin Luther King March and Observance will take place Monday, Jan. 21 from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Garden of Prayer Worship Center located at 1001 Church St. For more information, call 757-664-4253.
- The Simon Family JCC Kids Connection Before and After School Program will host an "I Have a Dream" Camp on Monday, Jan. 21. For more information, visit simonfamilyj.org or call 757-321-2342.
- The Center for Student Diversity at William and Mary will hold the annual King commemoration event on Jan. 17 in the Sadler Center's Commonwealth Auditorium at 7 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
- Students at William and Mary will also participate in events on Jan. 21 in King's name.
Newport News Police need help solving a robbery.
The Coast Guard medevaced two people off Hatteras Island Thursday morning following the closure of the Bonner Bridge.
The Hampton and Division of Fire and Rescue is offering safety tips to reduce the chance of a fire in your home this holiday season.