POQUOSON, Va. (WAVY) - A pillow placed too close to a heater sparked a fire that destroyed a home, injured one resident and killed three pets Sunday morning.
Poquoson Fire Department spokesman Lt. Joe Breeden said firefighters were called to a house fire at 102 Sir Ralph Lane at 6:15 a.m. Crews arrived three minutes later to find a single-family home fully engulfed in flames.
Three residents and two guests inside the home at the time of the fire got out safely before firefighters arrived. Medics took one resident to Riverside Regional Medical Center for burns to his hands. The fire killed a dog and two pet birds, Breeden said.
The Red Cross was called to assist the displaced residents.
Crews took about 40 minutes to control the blaze. Breeden said a pillow placed too close to an electric heater caused the fire, and the house was a total loss.
Charges have been made in a domestic abuse investigation involving a 74-year-old woman in Elizabeth City.
Witnesses tell WAVY.com the attack of a shopper was the cause of a heavy police presence at the Ross department store at Military Circle in Norfolk Wednesday night.
Drivers traveling between Hatteras Island and the mainland were forced to use an emergency ferry Wednesday, following the sudden closure of the Bonner Bridge Tuesday.