CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) - An overheated motor in a ceiling fan is to blame for a fire at a Chesapeake school Thursday morning.
Capt. Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department told WAVY.com the fire sparked at Sparrow Road Intermediate just before 10:30 a.m.
Saunders said there was a report of flames coming from the ceiling inside one of the classrooms.
The building was evacuated and fire crews arrived on scene minutes after the call went out. Prior to their arrival, the school cut the power so the fire was out, Saunders added.
Everyone was allowed back into the school by 10:38 a.m. and no one was injured. Investigators determined a motor inside a ceiling fan overheated, sparking the fire.
State officials say construction on a new Bonner Bridge has been delayed for years because of a legal battle with an environmental group.
Michelle Price with Newport News Public Schools told WAVY.com at least three city school buses ran substantially late Wednesday afternoon, delivering children home several hours after dismissal.
Plans to enhance a popular park in Smithfield are on hold. Some people say City Council is trying to commercialize a natural and historic treasure, and leave them out of the loop.