CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) - The Tidewater Community College Chesapeake campus has reopened after a gas leak caused the campus to evacuate Tuesday morning.
According to Capt. Mike Theibault with the Chesapeake Fire Department, a four inch gas line was severed on Cedar Road around 8:20 a.m. by an excavator in front of the TCC campus.
HAZMAT crews responded with monitoring equipment and determined the area had not reached a hazardous amount of gas away from the excavator.
Crews worked with school security to evacuate the TCC campus. There were about 40 students on campus at the time, as limited classes were in session.
Classes for TCC do not start again until Monday.
Crews were able to assist Columbia Gas with securing the leak.
The leak was secured at 9:07 a.m. and Cedar Road was reopened.
Camden County Sheriff Tony Perry said that during the last two weeks, incidents of breaking and entering and home or vehicle larceny have increased in two areas of the county.
A Facebook post helped Elizabeth City Police identify and locate the suspect of a hit-and-run incident involving a 3-year-old this week.
As Newport News Fire Chief Scott Liebold plans to retire at the end of this month, the city is looking for his replacement -- and they want your help.