NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) - Newport News Police have identified a suspect wanted for stealing lottery winnings from a man in a wheelchair earlier this month.
According to Harold Eley with the Newport News Police Department, Kenneth Jones, Sr., 62, won $500 in cash from a lottery ticket at Mo's Convenience Store off Warwick Boulevard Feb. 1.
Newport News Police are investigating a robbery involving a 62-year-old victim, who lost his lottery winnings.
Feeling generous, Jones gave $50 to each of the two store clerks, and $5 to another customer in the store. He also used $20 to buy another lottery ticket.
Around 8:15 p.m., Jones left Mo's with the rest of his winnings in a wad in his pocket. Police say a man, caught on surveillance video, chased him home and stole the money.
"When I turned in the driveway, he came running behind me, and said, 'Hey! Give me my $5, give me my $5,'" said Jones. "I said, 'Man, I ain't got your $5. These are my $5.'"
Jones told WAVY.com he would have given the man the money, if he had asked politely.
"That's the type of person I am," said Jones. "But, what he did, he didn't care if I died from it."
The suspect has been identified as 18-year-old Khaleed McKoy-Ward.
If you have any information regarding McKoy-Ward's location, contact Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory toured the Bonner Bridge area Friday morning after officials shut it down due to safety concerns.
A 24-year-old man is accused of fleeing as troopers tried to initiate a traffic stop in Hampton Friday.
Hampton fire crews battled a residential structure fire early Friday morning.