EAST GREENWICH, R.I. (AP) - Firefighters often have to rescue people from burning homes, sometimes even a dog or cat.
But the 18-foot Bermese python that firefighters had to drag out of a burning Rhode Island home just after midnight Monday may have been a first.
Acting Chief Peter Henrikson tells The Providence Journal that it took two firefighters to carry out the python with a diameter like a "Frisbee" in the middle.
The home's sole occupant managed to escape on his own and brought out his two dogs and a cat.
Henrikson says he hates snakes and wouldn't go near it.
He says it appears the fire started where the pipe of a wood stove met the wall. The East Greenwich house was condemned.
Information from: The Providence Journal