Updated: Friday, 01 Mar 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Published : Friday, 01 Mar 2013, 11:10 AM EST
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Hundreds of millions of dollars have been recovered so far in a massive North Carolina-based Ponzi scheme that authorities say attracted more than 1 million investors.
The case involves Rex Venture Group, which operated several online projects. The Securities and Exchange Commission froze the company's assets in August.
Court-appointed receiver Kenneth Bell has filed a document in federal court in Charlotte detailing his expenses. As of Dec. 31, Bell says he has recovered $312 million and has incurred $1.6 million in fees and services for the investigation.
The SEC says the company, operated by Paul Burks of Lexington, ran a $600 Ponzi scam, where money from new investors is used to pay out old ones.
Burks is paying a $4 million penalty and cooperating with the SEC.
Opinions that are derogatory, attack other users or are offensive in nature may be removed. WAVY is not responsible for the content posted in this comment section. We reserve the right to remove any offensive or off-topic remark or thread. To mark a comment for review by a moderator, click "Flag as inappropriate."