Complete coverage of the Military, Commonweath of Virginia, and…
Updated: Tuesday, 01 May 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 08 Jun 2011, 5:56 PM EDT
GLOUCESTER, Va. (WAVY) - A 15-year-old Gloucester High School student nearly died after smoking Spice, a synthetic marijuana.
His mom, Julie Hedrick, hopes to turn heads. The Gloucester mother painted "Spice kills" on her car after a terrible realization at her son's hospital bedside.
"My child may be dying over some stuff that's legal that's being sold right here in our county," said Hedrick.
"I remember going through hell. I thought I was already deceased. I thought I was dead," said her son Adam.
Adam said he'd smoked Spice before. Virginia banned the synthetic marijuana, but chemical free versions are still being sold.
Hedrick said he smoked "head trip" with a friend before school.
"I couldn't breathe and I kept seeing weird things. Apparently they told me I was foaming at the mouth and stuff and that's when I was going into cardiac arrest," he explained.
The high school star athlete may have fumbled his chances to play sports next year.
"Right now I'm looking at possibly messing up my life forever," said Adam.
Julie Hedrick said she was shocked when she arrived at the hospital. Now, she's focusing on getting her son help and reaching out to store owners still selling spice.
Many maintain it is an herbal incense not sold for human consumption.
"They know in their heart what's going on with it and if there was something they could do to save lives just by taking a product off their shelves then they should do that," said Julie.
Opinions that are derogatory, attack other users or are offensive in nature may be removed. WAVY is not responsible for the content posted in this comment section. We reserve the right to remove any offensive or off-topic remark or thread. To mark a comment for review by a moderator, click "Flag as inappropriate."