HAMPTON ROADS, Va. - Our area is rich in African American history and heritage. Someof the landmarks are well known, while others are not.
A few of the hidden gems in our Hampton Roads include -
J. J. Moore Visitor, Archives & Family LifeCenter - 2216 Long Ridge Road
The only visitor center in the Commonwealth of Virginia withan Afro-Union and Afro-Virginian repository theme.
Aberdeen Gardens Historic District - Roughlybounded by Langston and Mary Peake Boulevards, including Russell,Davis, Lewis, Weaver and Walker Roads
Began in 1934 as the model resettlement community for AfricanAmerican families. It was the only such community in the UnitedStates designed by an African American architect and built byAfrican American contractors and laborers.
Hampton University Museum - HuntingtonBuilding on the Hampton University Campus
Founded in 1868, the Museum is the oldest African Americanmuseum in the United States. Hampton University is also home to theEmancipation Oak, where President Lincoln's EmancipationProclamation was read to local residents.
Little England Chapel - 4100 Kecoughtan Road
Built circa 1879, the Little England Chapel is Virginia'sonly-known African American missionary chapel.
Newport News -
James A. Fields House - 617 27th Street
Born a slave in Hanover County, Va., James A. Fields escapedduring the Civil War and went on to become one of the firstgraduates of Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute (now HamptonUniversity) in 1871. The house on 27th Street was used as his lawoffice and primary residence from 1897 to 1903. In 1908, the topfloor was converted to the city's first African Americanhospital.
The Newsome House Museum & Cultural Center- 2803 Oak Avenue
The restored 1899 home of the African-American attorney J.Thomas Newsome and his wife Mary Winfield Newsome. Newsome was arespected attorney, journalist, churchman and civic leader.
African American Civil War Memorial - 238 E.Princess Anne Road
One of the South's few memorials to African Americansoldiers' who fought for the Union during the Civil War.
Attucks Theatre - 1010 Church Street
Opened in 1919, it is one of the only theaters in Virginia tobe financed, designed, and built exclusively by African Americans.It's named after Crispus Attucks, a black man killed in the BostonMassacre of 1770 who was the first casualty of the AmericanRevolution.
Blyden Branch Library - 879 E. Princess AnneRoad
Opened in 1921, Blyden Branch Library was the first publiclibrary for African-Americans supported by a municipality inVirginia.
John T. West School - 1425 Bolton Street
The John T. West School is the only historicallyAfrican-American school remaining in Norfolk and one of the twoearliest remaining school buildings in the city. It is observed asthe first accredited African-American high school in the South.
West Point Monument - Elmwood Cemetary, 232 EastMain Street
The monument honors William Carney who was born in Norfolk in1840. Sgt. Carney fought in the Civil War with the 54thMassachusetts Regiment. During the 1863 attack on Fort Wagner,S.C., he saved the U.S. flag from capture, refusing to give up eventhough he had been shot 3 times. Carney was awarded the Medal ofHonor for his actions.
Emanuel A.M.E. Church - 637 North Street
Emanuel AME Church is the oldest church of any blackdenomination in the city of Portsmouth and is the second oldestchurch building in Portsmouth. The congregation dates back to 1772.There is still a small entrance under the sanctuary that leads to aformer stop on the Underground Railroad.
Fisher's Hill Cemetery - southern edge of I-264off Deep Creek Boulevard
One of three adjoining all-black cemeteries, it includesprominent local African Americans such as I.C. Norcom, JeffryWilson, Ida Barbour, and others whose impact has been memorializedby use of their names on schools and other public places.
Medal of Honor Monument - at intersection of HighStreet and Water Street
This monument commemorates 11 of the 14 African Americansoldiers who received a Congressional Medal of Honor for valorduring the Civil War Battle of New Market Heights, includingPortsmouth native Sgt. Charles Veal, 4th U.S. Colored Troops, whodashed forward to seize the nation's colors from a dyingsoldier.
Truxtun Historic District - near intersection ofDeep Creek and Portsmouth Boulevards, including Manly, Dahlin,Hobson, Dewey and Bagley Streets
The Truxtun Historic District was the nation's first wartimegovernment housing project constructed exclusively for blacks.Named for naval hero Thomas Truxtun.
School House Museum - 516 Main Street
Built in 1932 as an addition to an original Rosenwald School,one of 5,000 built across the south to educate black children. Thebuilding was originally located in Chuckatuck, but was moved to itspresent location in 2008.
Norfolk Police are investigating the cause of death for male found unconscious on the beach.
Suffolk police are looking for a man and a woman they say robbed a Kangaroo Express gas station on Wilroy Road Sunday afternoon.
The art of making jewelry is helping some Norfolk students learn independence and job skills.